Developing Apache Camel and Red Hat Fuse applications inside VS Code is improving! In my previous articles, I've mentioned that Camel URI completion is available in VS Code for XML and Java DSL. By leveraging several VS Code extensions, it is now possible to have an end-to-end development experience. The Camel tooling currently available in VS Code is primarily targeting Spring Boot– based Camel applications. The tooling covers the development process from creating a Camel project, testing, and debugging it locally, to automatically-rebuilding and redeploying it on your local OpenShift/Kubernetes instance when you make changes.
There are several ways to leverage the VS Code tooling. I will show the process which I believe is the easiest one to get started with.
With VS Code extensions, you can do the following in VS Code:
- Create a Fuse project
- Auto-completion of Camel URI
- Launch a test
- Debug Java on your local machine
- Deploy to a local OpenShift instance (Red Hat Container Development Kit/minishift)
- Auto-redeployment to OpenShift
Let's see it in a video:
The five extensions in the screenshot are very useful for Camel development. They are the ones that are used in the previous video. You can use this line in the search bar to find them easily:
"Spring Boot Extension Pack" | "Java Extension Pack" | "Project Initializer by Red Hat" | "OpenShift Connector" | "Language Support for Apache Camel"
We need your feedback and you can help shape the future of the tools for Red Hat Fuse/Camel. There are still known limitations. Please try the extensions and vote for, or report, the additional features that you would like to see the most.
- Jump start camel projects with the new yeoman-based project generator
- Announcing the Red Hat OpenShift extension for Visual Studio Code
- VS Code XML Extension and the XML Language Server
- Auto-generating news and publishing it to WordPress with Apache Camel
- Apache Camel URI completion: easy installation for Eclipse, VS Code, and OpenShift.io
- Extending Eclipse Che 7 to use VS Code extensions
- Camel Riders in the Cloud