Red Hat Universal Base Images (UBI)
Get the e-book
As a developer, you need a source of container base images that have many of the qualities of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, but that can be consumed by your users/customers without acquiring a Red Hat subscription. Red Hat provides this with Universal Base Images (UBI), a subset of Red Hat Enterprise Linux for building applications in containers - what’s different is they have their own unique EULA which means they are freely redistributable.
Read this new ebook to learn about benefits and more:
- Learn why choosing a base image is strategically important for building cloud native apps
- Same image can be used for both Red Hat and non Red Hat customers
- Long-term support, updates, and stability - and it’s OCI compliant
- Same Red Hat Enterprise Linux quality, compatibility, security, and level of testing
- How your decisions on the software you place in your containers can have can have implications for the organizations that run your containerized application
- Red Hat partners - get your products Red Hat certified have the ability to freely distribute other non-UBI and non-kernel Red Hat Enterprise Linux packages as well
UBI is a freely distributable subset of Red Hat Enterprise Linux to satisfy the runtime dependencies of container-based applications. Anyone can use UBI without a subscription. No registration with Red Hat is required. UBI retains the most desirable aspects of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, namely long-term updates and support. Updates to UBI and Red Hat Enterprise Linux share the same rigorous attention to security, reliability, compatibility, and performance.