Red Hat Universal Base Images (UBI)
As a developer, you need a source of container base images that have many of the qualities of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, but that can be consumed by your users/customers without acquiring a Red Hat subscription. Red Hat provides this with Universal Base Images (UBI), a subset of Red Hat Enterprise Linux for building applications in containers - what’s different is they have their own unique EULA which means they are freely redistributable.
Read this new ebook to learn about benefits and more:
- Learn why choosing a base image is strategically important for building cloud native apps
- Same image can be used for both Red Hat and non Red Hat customers
- Long-term support, updates, and stability - and it’s OCI compliant
- Same Red Hat Enterprise Linux quality, compatibility, security, and level of testing
- How your decisions on the software you place in your containers can have can have implications for the organizations that run your containerized application
- Red Hat partners - get your products Red Hat certified have the ability to freely distribute other non-UBI and non-kernel Red Hat Enterprise Linux packages as well
UBI is a freely distributable subset of Red Hat Enterprise Linux to satisfy the runtime dependencies of container-based applications. Anyone can use UBI without a subscription. No registration with Red Hat is required. UBI retains the most desirable aspects of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, namely long-term updates and support. Updates to UBI and Red Hat Enterprise Linux share the same rigorous attention to security, reliability, compatibility, and performance.
Want to see more? Get the entire ebook.Download PDF