Here and elsewhere, we get a lot of questions about post-Docker container tools in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.6 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 beta. Tools like podman, buildah, and skopeo enable you to create and manage rootless containers, which are containers that don't require root access to be built and deployed. To help you master the basics, we're happy to offer a new podman basics cheat sheet.
The good news is that if you know basic Docker commands, you can usually simply replace
podman and do whatever you're used to doing. As a matter of fact, the two command-line interfaces are so similar that some users define alias docker='podman':
In addition to the podman basics cheat sheet, here are other resources that can help you get started with podman:
- Intro to Podman by Alessandro Arrichiello
- Podman and Buildah for Docker users by William Henry
- Containers without daemons by Tom Sweeney
- Podman: Managing pods and containers in a local container runtime by Brent Baude
- Podman - The next generation of Linux container tools by Doug Tidwell
Download the podman basics cheat sheet now and have fun working with rootless containers!