Modernizing Enterprise Java
Get the e-book
While containers, microservices, and distributed systems dominate discussions in the tech world, most applications in use today still run monolithic architectures that follow traditional development processes. This practical book helps developers examine long-established Java-based models and demonstrates how to bring these monolithic applications successfully into the cloud-native model with Kubernetes.
- Learn the basics of cloud-native applications and understand what parts of your organization's Java-based applications and platforms need to migrate and modernize.
- Understand how enterprise Java specifications can help you transition projects and teams.
- Build a cloud-native platform that supports effective development without falling into buzzword traps.
- Find a starting point for your migration projects by identifying candidates and staging them through modernization steps.
- Discover how to complement a traditional enterprise Java application with components on top of containers and Kubernetes.
- Go beyond and look toward the future of cloud-native, serverless, event-driven architectures.
Modern enterprise Java systems are like generations of families: they evolve on top of legacy systems. Using proven patterns, standardized tools, and open source resources will help you create long-lasting systems that can grow and change with your needs. Fundamentally, your migration approach is directly related to what problems you’re trying to solve today and tomorrow. What are you trying to achieve that your current architecture doesn’t scale up to? Maybe microservices are the answer, or perhaps something else is. You must understand what you’re trying to achieve because it will be challenging to establish how to migrate the existing systems without that comprehension. Understanding your end goal will change how you decompose a system and how you prioritize that work.