Using VS Code to develop Spring Boot-based Camel and Red Hat Fuse projects
Developing Apache Camel and Red Hat Fuse applications inside VS Code is improving! In my previous articles, I’ve mentioned that Camel URI completion is available in VS Code for XML and Java DSL. By leveraging several VS Code extensions, it is now possible to have an end-to-end development experience. The Camel tooling currently available in VS Code is primarily targeting Spring Boot– based Camel applications. The tooling covers the development process from creating a Camel project, testing, and debugging it locally, to automatically-rebuilding and redeploying it on your local OpenShift/Kubernetes instance when you make changes.
There are several ways to leverage the VS Code tooling. I will show the process which I believe is the easiest one to get started with.
With VS Code extensions, you can do the following in VS Code:
- Create a Fuse project
- Auto-completion of Camel URI
- Launch a test
- Debug Java on your local machine
- Deploy to a local OpenShift instance (Red Hat Container Development Kit/minishift)
- Auto-redeployment to OpenShift
Let’s see it in a video:
The five extensions in the screenshot are very useful for Camel development. They are the ones that are used in the previous video. You can use this line in the search bar to find them easily:
“Spring Boot Extension Pack” | “Java Extension Pack” | “Project Initializer by Red Hat” | “OpenShift Connector” | “Language Support for Apache Camel”
Everything you need to grow your career.
With your free Red Hat Developer program membership, unlock our library of cheat sheets and ebooks on next-generation application development.SIGN UP
We need your feedback and you can help shape the future of the tools for Red Hat Fuse/Camel. There are still known limitations. Please try the extensions and vote for, or report, the additional features that you would like to see the most.
- Jump start camel projects with the new yeoman-based project generator
- Announcing the Red Hat OpenShift extension for Visual Studio Code
- VS Code XML Extension and the XML Language Server
- Auto-generating news and publishing it to WordPress with Apache Camel
- Apache Camel URI completion: easy installation for Eclipse, VS Code, and OpenShift.io
- Extending Eclipse Che 7 to use VS Code extensions
- Camel Riders in the Cloud
To learn more, visit our Join the Red Hat Developer Program (it’s free) and get access to related cheat sheets (e.g. containers), books (e.g. microservices), and product downloads that can help you with your microservices and/or container application development.
Download and learn more about Red Hat JBoss Fuse, an innovative modular, cloud-ready architecture, powerful management and automation, and world class developer productivity. It is Java™ EE 7 certified and features powerful, enterprise-grade features such as high availability clustering, distributed caching, messaging, transactions, and a full web services stack.