Creating a topic
Red Hat OpenShift Streams for Apache Kafka supports creating Topics through the user interface (UI) at console.redhat.com or via the command-line interface (CLI). To create a topic through the UI, do the following:
- Go to console.redhat.com and log in with your Red Hat account.
- On the Application Services landing page, select Streams for Apache Kafka→Kafka Instances.
- On the Kafka Instances page, click the name of a Kafka instance you created before.
- Select the Topics tab, click the Create Topic button, and follow the guided steps to define the topic details:
- Use songs as topic name.
- Keep the number of partitions set to 1.
- Keep the default message retention values.
- Click Finish to create the topic.
Your topic will be listed when you return to the Topics tab. You can click the Topic name to view information about the topic (Figure 16).
Note that the replication factor for topics on OpenShift Streams for Apache Kafka is set to 3. This corresponds to the number of brokers in the Kafka instance, meaning that your data is replicated across all brokers in the Apache Kafka cluster.