Red Hat Mobile Application Platform (RHMAP) supports an agile approach to developing, integrating, and deploying enterprise mobile applications. Most likely, your mobile apps will include one or more cloud apps which will require persistence support such as a Mongo Database. But managing databases is not always easy, as command line support for this databases is complex and not always available.
To ease this pain, Mongo Express can be used as an database GUI. For the mongo databases in your cloud apps, it is a powerful and intuitive tool which can be used in conjunction or as substitute for the default database browser. The main benefits from using “Mongo Express” instead of “Data Browser” are:
- Can run complex queries
- In-depth stats for every view
- Supports BSON types as TimeStamp() or DBRef()
IMPORTANT: there are some implications when using Mongo Express as a database manager:
- Mongo Express can only manage the databases in one Cloud App and environment at a time
- There is no authentication by default when using Mongo Express as explained in this article so take into account all the security issues that this may arise 
- Users running the platform on the RHMAP should upgrade their databases if it was not upgraded before
 Check the Annex ‘how to add authentication’ to overcome this issue
Continue reading “Manage your Mongo Databases in RHMAP with Mongo Express”
Join Red Hat Developers, a developer program for you to learn, share, and code faster – and get access to Red Hat software for your development. The developer program and software are both free!