Announcing Red Hat Development Tools Updates
Red Hat is dedicated to creating development tools that can simplify modern application development, especially for containerized applications and microservices. This February 2017 release builds upon the December 2016 release with a host of new capabilities, enhancements and features.
Today, Red Hat is pleased to announce general availability of our newest development tools:
- Red Hat Development Suite 1.3
- Red Hat JBoss Developer Studio 10.3
- Red Hat Container Development Kit 2.4
Also available is a beta version of Red Hat Container Development Kit 3, based on Minishift.
Red Hat Development Suite 1.3
Red Hat Development Suite is a custom installer and integrator for Red Hat JBoss Developer Studio, Red Hat Container Development Kit, and OpenJDK on your Windows or macOS device. Red Hat Development Suite 1.3 includes:
- DevStudio 10.3
- CDK 2.4
- OpenJDK 8u121
Red Hat JBoss Developer Studio (DevStudio) 10.3
Red Hat JBoss Developer Studio is a collection of valuable development tools including Eclipse IDE, plus a whole lot more! New features in this release are:
- Eclipse Neon.2 – Eclipse Neon.2 (4.6.2) is now supported.
- Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform 3.4 support – Developer Studio 10.3 has been validated against Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform 3.4.
- Scaling from docker container pod resources – When an application is being deployed to Openshift, the command is also now available at the pod level, leading to better usability.
- CDK 3 Server Adapter (Tech Preview) – A new server adapter has been added to support the next generation of CDK 3 Beta. Users can start and stop the CDK virtual machine via its minishift binary. See instructions here.
- Forge Runtime updated to 3.5.1.Final
Red Hat Container Development Kit (CDK)
Red Hat Container Development Kit provides a prebuilt Container Development Environment based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux to help you develop container-based applications quickly. The containers you build can be easily deployed on any Red Hat container host or platform, including: Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Red Hat Enterprise Linux Atomic Host, and Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform 3. New features in this release are:
Red Hat Container Development Kit (CDK) 2.4 – this generally available CDK version supports the latest version of Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform (OCP 126.96.36.199) and addresses bug fixes for usability and stability.
Red Hat Container Development Kit (CDK) 3 Beta – This CDK 3 beta release introduces Minishift – a CLI tool that aims to improve the user experience and makes it easier to run OpenShift locally as compared to CDK 2.x . With Minishift you can readily try out OpenShift or develop with it, day-to-day, on your local machine.
Read how to install and use CDK 3 Beta here.
Join the Red Hat Developer Program, get software
The Red Hat Developer Program provides software, books, cheat sheets, and many other valuable developer resources for you. There is no cost to joining or for downloading software and other resources.
Join Red Hat Developers, a developer program for you to learn, share, and code faster – and get access to Red Hat software for your development. The developer program and software are both free!